Perfect Pallets Post Press

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:46:28 PM

Author Topic: 1/4 fold Pre-prints specs  (Read 3702 times)

Offline cmiddleton1220

• Casey Middleton
  • Gatehouse Media
  • Mailroom Manager
1/4 fold Pre-prints specs
« on: December 21, 2016, 09:34:03 AM »
Hey guys, we are currently inserting Cabela's with a spadea that is also 1/4 folded.  Running it through our SLS-1000, the sucker bar pulls the spadea down but not the insert.  Since the insert is 1/4 folded, the spadea wraps around to the other side, not allowing it to feed from that side either. On top of this, some of these 1/4 fold inserts are so thick it takes 2 people to keep them feeding.

What are your regulations on 1/4 folds that are to be inserted?  What freedoms do you have in asking advertisers to send 1/2 fold product only? 

Has anybody seen an advertiser drop an account because they were not allowed to insert a 1/4 fold any longer?

thanks in advance,

Offline Cody

• Cody Griffin
  • Ecm Publishers
  • Post Press Manager
Re: 1/4 fold Pre-prints specs
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 10:54:02 AM »
I have not had a customer complain about not having their insert 1/4 folded. As a matter of fact, most of them have to pay to have them 1/4 folded offline, so they save money by not 1/4 folding. We do a couple of papers that the jacket is 1/4 folded and all the inserts were 1/4 folded also. Well, with 14 inserts, that made for one fat and ugly bundle, not to mention it took three people at the end of the inserter to jog, strap and stack the product. I finally asked a couple of the customers to have their insert 1/2 folded and I let the insert hang out the top of the jacket and just set up the stacker for a half fold length product and it ran great. I changed all the inserts to 1/2 fold and now we don't have to jog the bundle, we can now use our Dynaric auto strappers to strap the bundle inline and I only have one person stacking on the end. The customers are happy and everyone in post press is happier. One thing we do on our SLS 1000 for our inserts with a flap is we move it off to one side in the hopper so the lift hook actually supports the flap when it engages. This helps keep the flap from bubbling on the second insert in the stack when the bottom insert is pulled out. I hope this helps.

Cody Griffin

Offline Steven P HIll

• Steven P. Hill
  • Xerox
  • Document Control Lead
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 12:12:28 PM »
The best to do, would be to have the carriers hand insert them and bill the customer in the future.

Offline 227Kevin

• Kevin Kizzia
  • Muskogee Daily Phoenix
  • Distribution Manager
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 03:43:11 PM »
We called the printer and had them to not fold them.  Took a couple of printings before it was all straightened out.  This has been over 3 years ago and I cant for the life of me remember the company we called.