Perfect Pallets Post Press

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:48:06 AM

Author Topic: Alphaliner insert dog ear problems  (Read 4886 times)

Offline Cody

• Cody Griffin
  • Ecm Publishers
  • Post Press Manager
Alphaliner insert dog ear problems
« on: July 26, 2017, 05:43:46 PM »
Hello my fellow post press brotherin. We have a Muller Martini Alphaliner and for the most part is a really kick*** machine but it can be a dog earing mother sucker at times. Does anyone else have any problems with the inserts dog earing as it pulls around the hopper drum on their Alphaliner? I have had some luck not running sucker cups on the outer suckers, but that is only on thin inserts. I've tried putting the arms that lift the back of the insert up, i've tried putting the belly plate in and out or in between, i've tried putting the insert to one side so it doesn't hang over the hopper drum, but I still haven't figured out the magic bullet or bullets.Any ideas???

Thanks, Cody

Offline Angel Arrabal

• Angel Arrabal
  • QUIPP Systems
  • Business Development
  • Vendor Member
Re: Alphaliner insert dog ear problems
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 11:45:40 AM »
Hello my fellow post press brotherin. We have a Muller Martini Alphaliner and for the most part is a really kick*** machine but it can be a dog earing mother sucker at times. Does anyone else have any problems with the inserts dog earing as it pulls around the hopper drum on their Alphaliner? I have had some luck not running sucker cups on the outer suckers, but that is only on thin inserts. I've tried putting the arms that lift the back of the insert up, i've tried putting the belly plate in and out or in between, i've tried putting the insert to one side so it doesn't hang over the hopper drum, but I still haven't figured out the magic bullet or bullets.Any ideas???

Thanks, Cody
Hi Cody, I sent you a PM.

Offline rivertown

• Mark Hase
  • Red Wing Republican Eagle
  • Mailroom Manager
  • Newspaper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 03:13:25 PM »
Been running Alphaliner for almost 17 yrs now.  Been my experience the dog ears come mostly from the iserts hanging up on the left or right side of the pocket.  Seems better when you have 2 suckers in the middle.  The gray guides help sometimes.   If you have inserts that are already curled on the side, shuold be run with the curl down.

Offline Dave Paschall

• Dave Paschall
  • Yuma Sun Inc.
  • Facilities Manager
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 06:36:18 PM »
I second with Mark's suggestions. You are at the mercy of the machine with this problem. Sometimes you just have to slow down a bit to help equal the playing field. My biggest enemy on this machine was static on slicks! some products especially the thin stuff just does not want to cooperate.

Offline james fields

• James Fields
  • Ledger Independent Maysville Newspapers Lee Ent
  • Mailroom Manager
  • Mailroom Distribution and Packaging Manager
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 03:08:35 PM »
I know this sounds nuts but try some static guard helps me some times.
It is what it is...

Offline Cody

• Cody Griffin
  • Ecm Publishers
  • Post Press Manager
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 01:34:11 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I actually did see a couple of feeders where the belt adjustments were maxed out and the insert would contact the bracket that was actually for the belt coming from the feeder before. I changed those belts and now the insert clears thje bracket by a large margin. Hopefully that will cut down some of our issues. When Muller was here installing the machine, they did mention some places taping a downy drier sheet to the bottom of the feeder. I think i'll try some sort of anti-static spray, sheet or some other form. I would like to get a hold of some of these marketing people and strangle the hell out of them for some of the stupid A!! ideas they come up with. But that's a different post. Anyway, thanks again for the ideas and i'll let you know how the anti-static thing works.

Offline Dave Paschall

• Dave Paschall
  • Yuma Sun Inc.
  • Facilities Manager
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 08:43:19 PM »
I know this sounds nuts but try some static guard helps me some times.
LOL! James, interesting that you suggested this because we did use it frequently on the entrance to the pocket wheel at times. As I mentioned earlier with some insert packs with thin stuff static would float it right off or it would stick as the pack was going into the pocket. It actually worked well to solve the problem runs.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:47:01 PM by Dave Paschall »